In today’s world, business processes are highly complex. They require extensive training, supervising, and monitoring to maintain accuracy and security while keeping the cost as low as possible. Robotic process automation (RPA) is an emerging technology to streamline enterprise operations by reducing costs significantly.
With RPA, businesses can automate mundane rules-based business processes, enabling business users to devote more time to serving customers or other higher-value work. RPA could be seen as the first milestone to intelligent automation (IA) via machine learning (ML) and artificial intelligence (AI) tools, which can be trained to make judgments about future outputs.
Imagine you are an HR service provider that uses a standard ERP to process hundreds of leave applications manually. It could take up to 4 minutes to process one request, and this average handling time can be significantly reduced by using an RPA based ERP tool. Enterprise-grade ERP applications can be easily automated, achieving almost 90% automation in processes. RPA offers faster implementation and better ROO with a significant reduction of errors compared to manual efforts.
These are the core features of RPA;
- RPA configures software that will automate the activities or tasks previously performed by humans.
- It emulates and integrates the actions of a human interacting within digital systems to execute a business process.
- RPA robots utilize the user interface to capture data and manipulate applications just like humans do. They interpret, trigger responses, and communicate with other systems to perform on a wide variety of repetitive tasks.
- Robotic automation uses a computer or a bot to run application software similar to a person handling the software.
- RPA aims to replace repetitive tasks performed by humans, with a virtual workforce. Humans make the final judgments, handle exceptions, and provide oversight into the process.
- Automation that interacts with a computer-centric process with a software user interface providing support.
- RPA scenarios range from something as simple as generating an automatic response to an email to deploying thousands of bots, each programmed to automate jobs in an ERP system.
What are the benefits of RPA over existing technologies?
- Fast cost savings – RPA can reduce processing costs by up to 80%. It gets you a faster ROI, even in less than a year.
- Scalable to multiple business units, geographies and operations from desktop to cloud environments.
- Productivity and speed in processes are increased multi-fold. Employees can add more value by relieving themselves from repetitive tasks.
- Better accuracy and improved compliance – By giving proper instructions to the bots, risks can be averted in process handling. They adhere to existing regulations and standards, which makes it easier to monitor.
What is the best RPA platform at present?
The UiPath Platform is the leading RPA platform that is built for hyperautomation or enterprise grade automation function. The platform focus on the following features to deliver the benefits of RPA;
automation opportunities powered by AI and your people
Build automations visually, with drag & drop activities and templates. Combine RPA with AI to do even more
Manage, deploy, and monitor your automations—from anywhere, at scale, securely
Run automations with software robots that work with your applications and your people
Engage humans and robots in collaboration to automate complete processes
Measure and align automations with strategic business outcomes with powerful, embedded analytics
While implementing RPA into your business process, make sure to take account of possible hurdles you might face. Employee resistance, lack of standard processes, and unrealistic expectations can be overcome with proper management & information sharing.
But, choosing the wrong RPA might affect your results and lack of technical resources can cost you heavily. Get yourself the best technical resources to build your RPA or hire a development team to get you a customized RPA solution.